20TH EDITION (Nov 2018 – February 2019) now open for application. Apply by 5th October 2018.
5 Years Running with over 100 alumni mentees. Read TESTIMONIALS.
The IPA Mentorship Program is an intensive 4 month program by Invisible Photographer Asia (IPA) for those who wish to further their personal photographic vision and goals and importantly, to strengthen their narrative conception and expression. The program, an extension of our traditional on-site photo workshops taught across cities in Asia, is conducted one-to-one and group sessions using the online platform. The aim is for mentees to conceive, continue or finish a photo project or series as a method to strengthen their photography and understand the concerns of their individual practice.
“Because of the IPA Mentorship, I was able to finish the first episode of my photo project and exhibit it together with the works of my friends in our debut group show in Yangon. The IPA Workshop network also gave me the opportunity to get to know many other photographers from different countries and their works, which was extremely valuable to someone like me who lives in a country with limited resources and exposure.” Tin Htet Paing, Myanmar | 2018 Alumni. >> Read more
IPA Mentorship participants have won awards and showcased their projects at Singapore International Photography Festival, FIRST DRAFT by THEBOOKSHOW, Mt. Rokko International Photo Festival (Japan), Angkor Photo Festival (Cambodia), China-ASEAN Photography Festival (Nanning China), and Odesa/Batumi Photo Days (Ukraine) to name a few.
Select projects completed in the Mentorship Program will be invited to be published in IPA MZ Editions.
The 2 key ingredients of the IPA Mentorship Program are Collaboration and Time. The Program seeks to create an environment of collaboration between mentors and participants where the primary focus is to discuss, incubate, critique and develop the participants’ personal photography. The Program also recognizes the value of Time – time for in-depth discussions and mentor relationships, time for participants to react and respond to feedback, and inturn develop and realise projects or personal photography goals.
Fees for the IPA Mentorship Program is USD$800. Intake is through application and selection. Application is open to photographers in Asia and beyond, of beginner to intermediate levels, interested in all manner and categories of photography.
IPA MZ Editions – select photobook publications from the Program:
View Projects and Essays from the Program:
More about the Program and updates on IPA:
Read Testimonials for the Program:
Participation in the IPA Mentorship Program is by application and selection.
To Apply for Participation in the Program:
- Participants are required to submit a WRITTEN PROPOSAL on what they would like to work on during the 4 months program. They may choose to work on a photo project, their portfolio or exploring personal vision. The proposal should highlight goals and be accompanied by supporting images, wherever possible.
- Participants are also required to submit a BIOGRAPHY, along with website links (if any) and sample images from their PORTFOLIO for evaluation.
- Submit your applications in an email to [email protected] with subject header “Application: IPA Mentorship Program 20TH EDITION.”
- Successful Applicants will be notified and required to pay the Registration Fees of USD$800 to confirm their participation in the Program. Commencement dates and info will be furnished to confirmed participants.
- Note: This is not a technical workshop. Participants are expected to have basic to intermediate photography skills. Successful applicants will be notified by email and will be required to proceed with fee registration.
- The Mentorship Program will be facilitated through a series of online mentoring sessions administrated by IPA over the course of 4 months.
- The Mentorship Program will be goals-driven with sessions focusing on identifying and discussing personal vision, visual literacy and self-curation, editing and sequencing, and visual story-telling through photography.
- Online sessions will be a combination of one-to-one with mentors or wherever possible, group sessions with other participants or guest photographers and mentors.
- Participants can expect progressive feedback & critique throughout the program on their development and/or projects.
- Wherever possible, options for practical face-to-face consultation will be available.
- Participants will join the IPA Workshop Alumni Network and be entitled discounts for future IPA Photo Workshops in Asia.
- Selected projects and photography works from participants may be published on the IPA Website.
Program Technical Requirements
- Google+ Account and Hangout capabilities using Video/Voice for Online Mentoring Sessions. Check here for required system requirements.
- Access to Internet connection. Approximately 1–2 mbps bandwidth.
- Computer with Software for Photo Editing
- Suitable communication tools: Email and/or Social Media Profile eg. Facebook
The IPA Mentorship Program is currently mentored by IPA founder Kevin WY Lee.
For more information, please contact us with an email to [email protected]
Pictures from the program and exhibitions, festivals and events across Asia and internationally that mentorship participants and alumni have showcased and participated in. IPA Mentorship participants have showcased their projects at Singapore International Photography Festival, Mt. Rokko International Photo Festival (Japan), Angkor Photo Festival (Cambodia), China-ASEAN Photography Festival (Nanning China), and Odesa/Batumi Photo Days (Ukraine) to name a few.