Here are some High ISO picture samples from the Fujifilm X-Pro1, along with a video preview of its autofocus speed.
Pictures, video & text by Edward Teo.
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Auto-focus Preview[youtube width=880 height=500]sDEGMgtJ_4E[/youtube]
While most reviewers have been “blown away” with the IQ of the X-Pro1, there has also been quite a bit said and speculated about its AF speed. I do not have the benefit of really having used the Fujifilm X100 to know the AF issues, but my benchmarks are possibly the D700 and M9 (??), point being, different people would have different expectations and different benchmarks to peg against.
And while I couldn’t quite setup a side by side comparison to another mirrorless camera, shootout-style… but hopefully, this is somewhat useful in providing more information for a more objective view of the X-Pro1’s AF speed. Setup, artificial florescent lighting, t-shirt distance 2.2m, ball distance 0.7m.
My own comments:
– AF speed depends on the lens being used, the XF18 glass is a lot smaller lighter and thus faster than the XF35.
– The AF isn’t as silent as I would like, esp for the larger XF35 (note the noisier startup and focusing)…
– There is a very subtle lag between AF confirmation and the LCD display…
– Aside from AF speed, AF was more effective with the XF18 with pretty much no misses, while the XF35 had the occasional “no focus”.
– Esp for nearer subjects, switching to macro mode helps increase the AF confirmation rate, but macro mode AF range takes longer to search through…